Wadebridge- walk or ride the Camel Trail
Wadebridge and the Bridge on Wool
Providing the lowest crossing of the River Camel, until the Bypass was built a few years ago, is a particularly fine medieval arch bridge dating from the 15th Century. Known locally as the 'Bridge on Wool' because it was reputedly built on woolsacks, but in fact proven to be founded directly on the underlying bedrock. According to signs erected on the Bridge it was built by the Vicar of Egloshayle, one Thomas Lovibond. Begun in 1468 and completed in 1485. Widened in 1853, and again in 1963. (Some local historians think he was in fact called John Lovibond and that the bridge was completed by 1475.) Many arch bridges in the South West were built in the same period Greystones and Horsebridge on the River Tamar, to name two other fine examples, both built through the granting of indulgences by the Abbot from Tavistock Abbey.
Wadebridge on the Camel Trail
Cycling in Cornwall -The Camel Trail. A cycle path following the line of a disused railway, runs along the beautiful the Camel Estuary from Padstow the 6 miles to Wadebridge and on, for the more adventurous, another 8 miles to Bodmin. Continuing on again to the western edge of Bodmin Moor, the rugged heart of Cornwall. Left your bikes at home? No problem, there are several bike hire shops in Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin from which to rent one. The Camel Trail is very popular, particularly during the School Holidays. Other off road Cycling in Cornwall routes.
View Larger Map
At the heart of the Camel Trail the Quayside is home to several cycle hire shops. From tourers to tandems to buggies for the children. Half and full day hire available. The Wadebridge Tourist Information Centre, is located in the most striking Rotunda building, with its roof of local Delabole slate. The town has lots of retail shops even a restaurant. At high water visiting yachts, on an excursion from Padstow or Rock down river, often moor up for a couple of hours before sailing home on an ebbing tide.
Legal Notice Copyright Cornish Light 1998-2016
Page updated 2012
Copyright Cornish Light 1998-2016