Gardens in Cornwall- Lanhydrock House
Lanhydrock House and Gardens. The most visited National Trust property in Cornwall. One of the best examples of a high Victorian country house, surrounded by nearly 30 acres of lovingly tended formal gardens, laid out in 1857, mature woodland and hundreds of acres of parkland, all leading down to the River Fowey. In spring the camellias and rhododendrons are a visual delight, the tulips of the formal parterre a blaze of colour. In summer bedding plants continue the spectacle. In autumn the golden glows of the beech avenue frame the 17th century gatehouse.
Lanhydrock House. Dating from the 17th century, though all that remains from that period is the Gatehouse and the North Wing with the Long Gallery with its plasterwork ceiling. Remodelled in 1857, ravished by fire in 1881, and then rebuilt incorporating all the needs of a fashionable Victorian residence and what can be seen today. In total 49 rooms are on display, all overlooking the central courtyard. From the scullery, the larders, the kitchen to the dining room, with table set for dinner, to Lady Robartes Boudoir and the so poignant Captain Tommy's Bedroom.